Memorial Day 2020 in Charlotte is a lot different this year. There aren’t any in-person planned gatherings, either to commemorate our fallen military personnel, or to just celebrate the beginning of the summer.
We do have a few freebies and discounts to share and a few ideas for how to celebrate. Then scroll down to see what’s on our calendar for this weekend. Many of the events are virtual events.
Follow Charlotte on the Cheap on Twitter and Facebook. Best bet: subscribe by email. You’ll never get more than one email a day from us, and you’ll have all the latest and greatest information about free things to do in the Charlotte area.
Memorial Day freebies and deals
Keep checking back for food deals and freebies for military personnel. Here’s what’s been announced so far, but more will be added soon.
- On Monday, May 25th, Ben & Jerry’s in Davidson is offering 20% off to all current and retired military. Just let them know!
- McCormick & Schmick’s: Military members, veterans, nurses, doctors, first responders, firefighters, police, paramedics and EMTs get 10% off on their meals on Monday, May 25th. This offer is good for dine-in only, for parties up to 6. Not valid on to-go, alcoholic beverages or gift cards.
- Ace Hardware: On Saturday, May 23rd, all participating locations of Ace Hardware are giving away free American flags, while supplies last. They’re giving away one million flags across the country. This is for anyone, not just military personnel.
- Outback Steakhouse: Every day, all servicemen and servicewomen, police officers, firefighters and first responders get 10% off their entire check.
- Quiznos: Current or former military members can get a free 8-inch sub with the purchase of an 8-inch sub and 2 bottled drinks. The deal is good May 22-25.
- Free Family Meal: StarMed Healthcare and Keith Chiropractic are giving away Grab-n-Go picnic bags that feed four people. Drive up to 4001 Tuckaseegee Road, on May 25th, from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. and get one to go. They’re giving away 1,000 bags and the event will end when they’ve given them all out.
Ideas for Memorial Day Weekend
Taps Across America
All buglers and trumpet players, of any skill level are invited to play Taps on their front lawn or porch at 3 p.m. on Monday, May 25th, as part of Taps Across America.
Please keep in mind crowds, though, that many of these spots have been experiencing large crowds and have even been having to set limits and refuse entry. It’s a good bet that Memorial Day Weekend will bring some big crowds. You might get turned away.
Watch a Precision Flight Team
The Bandit Flight Team will be performing a flyover in Charlotte Friday evening. You can see their flight plan here. They start at Atrium Health Pineville at 6:11 p.m., fly over Charlotte, Mint Hill and Huntersville, and finally, will fly over Lake Norman Regional at 6:35 p.m. Check out the flight plan to see if they fly over a spot near you.
Two drive-in theaters in our area are operating: Badin Road Drive-In in Albemarle, and Hound’s Drive-in in Kings Mountain. Both have added new safety measures. Follow the link to learn about the safety measures they’ve added and the movies that they’re showing.
Swim in a Quarry
Carrigan Farms is opening its Swimming Quarry on Saturday, May 23rd, with some extra precautions, including reduced capacity. You can reserve your spot ahead of time, with a $5 deposit, which you can exchange for a voucher at the Quarry Kitchen.
Virtual Memorial Day Ceremony
The Town of Huntersville is broadcasting a virtual Memorial Day Ceremony on Monday, May 25th, 2020, at 11 a.m.