There are three drive-in theaters fairly close to Charlotte, and they are a great source of affordable family entertainment.
Hound’s Drive-In, in Kings Mountain, and Badin Road Drive-In, in Albemarle, are both operating, with some new rules this year. Sunset Drive-In, in Shelby, has not yet opened this season.
But in addition to those three, Knight Drive-in is now showing movies in the Rowan County Fairgrounds three nights a week. Read on to learn about all of these.
You might also be interested in the pop-up drive-in movies around Charlotte!
1560 Julian Road
40 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday and Saturday nights (but check Facebook group for updates and schedule changes)
New pricing: $10 per vehicle, up to 4 people. $5 each additional person. Age 4 and under free.
Gate opens at 8 p.m., and the movie starts at 8:45 p.m. or 9 p.m. When you arrive, go to the far end of the gate and come down the hill. Wednesday is children’s night. Concessions include fried whiting, grilled pork chops, chicken sandwiches, kettle corn, popcorn, candy, cotton candy, candy apples, funnel cakes, hot dogs, Polish sausages, hamburgers, more. Cash only.
Check Knight Drive-In Facebook group for movie announcements and schedule.
114 Raven Circle
Kings Mountain, NC
38 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday and Saturday and Sunday nights (September 6th will be the last Sunday showing of the year)
Cost: $20 per car load
Hound’s operates from March to November. It shows double features on each of its two screens. One screen is for 800 cars, and the other is for 300 cars.
They have instituted a number of rules to try to make it a safer experience for guests, although they have relaxed them somewhat since earlier this season.
- You must stay in your parking space unless visiting the restroom or concession stand
- You can sit outside vehicles on blankets or in chairs but you must stay in your space and distance yourself from others
- You may sit in the backs of your trucks and you may open hatches, but they must be level with the roofline of your vehicle.
- Convertible tops can be down
- Do not go to the playground
- Only 2 people are allowed in the restroom at a time and must stand 6 feet apart.
You can buy tickets online in advance.
There’s an ATM at concession stand. No outside food.
The Nightmare Before Christmas
Tune into 88.1 FM for the movie’s audio. Radios for rent for $5 or for purchase for $20.
You can bring your dog if it doesn’t bark and if you clean up after it.
There are also some upcoming special events:
Greatest Treat Festival
Saturday, October 24th, 2020
Music by King’s Highway. Move, Lion of Judah, will start at dark. Free event sponsored by the Baptist Churches of Cleveland County and the Greater Cleveland County Baptist Association.
Saturday, October 31st, 2020
$20 per car load
Gates open at 5 p.m. Trunk or Treat starts at 6 p.m. First movie starts at 7:30 p.m.
Badin Road Drive-In
Badin Road Drive-In
2411 Badin Rd
44 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
Cost: $7 per adult, $5 per child age 6-11, free for kids under 6.
Badin Road Drive-in shows two double feature every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, one on each of the two screens. They accept cash only, but there’s an ATM available.
They’ve got some new rules and safety procedures:
- Parking will be limited. All parking spots will be marked, with 6 feet between them. They expect to be able to park 350 cars, which is significantly less than normal. Come early to guarantee a spot.
- You can sit outside of your car as long as you remain within the parking space.
- Lines for concessions and bathrooms will be marked to maintain 6 feet between people.
- Bathrooms will be monitored to limit the number of people in there at a time, and they’ll be closing bathrooms periodically to sanitize and restock.
- The playground will be closed until further notice.
Sunset Drive-In Theatre
3935 Sunset Blvd.
52 miles from Charlotte
Shows movies Friday and Saturday nights.
Cost: $12 per car load. Cash only. No ATM on site.
OPENING IS DELAYED. Updates on Facebook.
Sunset shows two movies every Friday and Saturday night from April through around Labor Day. No dogs, except service dogs. You can bring outside food if you clean up your mess.
Sunset has additional activities, like coloring contests and photo booths.
Tune in to radio station 97.7 FM.Subscribe to Charlotte on the Cheap
Outdoor and Drive-In MoviesCheck out our list of outdoor and drive-in movies around Charlotte, or see some of them here:
Tuesday, October 27, 2020
Wednesday, October 28, 2020
Thursday, October 29, 2020
Friday, October 30, 2020
Saturday, October 31, 2020
Saturday, November 7, 2020
Friday, November 13, 2020
Kings Mountain, NC