There are three drive-in theaters fairly close to Charlotte, and they are a great source of affordable family entertainment.
They typically open in March, but, the current situation affected the opening date. Hound’s has been operating, with many rules and restrictions (read on to learn about these safety measures), and this weekend (Memorial Day Weekend), Badin Road Drive-In is opening too! Scroll down to see the changes they’re making.
Scroll to the end of this post for a huge list of virtual events.
114 Raven Circle
Kings Mountain, NC
38 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday and Saturday (and now, Sunday!) nights
Cost: $20 per car load
Hound’s operates from March to November. It shows double features on each of its two screens. One screen is for 800 cars, and the other is for 300 cars.
They have instituted a number of rules to try to make it a safer experience for guests, although they have relaxed them somewhat since earlier this season.
- You must stay in your parking space unless visiting the restroom or concession stand
- You can sit outside vehicles on blankets or in chairs but you must stay in your space and distance yourself from others
- You may sit in the backs of your trucks and you may open hatches, but they must be level with the roofline of your vehicle.
- Convertible tops can be down
- Do not go to the playground
- Only 2 people are allowed in the restroom at a time and must stand 6 feet apart.
Hound’s operates a full concession stand.
Cash only. Please bring exact change. There’s an ATM at concession stand. No outside food.
SCREEN 1 :
First Feature: DOLITTLE Rated PG
Second Feature: TROLLS WORLD TOUR Rated PG
SCREEN 2 :
First Feature: I Still Believe Rated PG
Second Feature: I Can Only Imagiine Rated PG
Tune into 88.1 FM for the movie’s audio. Radios for rent for $5 or for purchase for $20.
You can bring your dog if it doesn’t bark and if you clean up after it. Hound’s offers free jump starts!
Badin Road Drive-In
Badin Road Drive-In
2411 Badin Rd
44 miles from Charlotte
Shows Friday, Saturday and Sunday nights
Cost: $7 per adult, $5 per child age 6-11, free for kids under 6.
Badin Road Drive-in shows two double feature every Friday, Saturday and Sunday, one on each of the two screens. They accept cash only, but there’s an ATM available.
They’ve got some new rules and safety procedures:
- Parking will be limited. All parking spots will be marked, with 6 feet between them. They expect to be able to park 350 cars, which is significantly less than normal. Come early to guarantee a spot.
- You can sit outside of your car as long as you remain within the parking space.
- Lines for concesssions and bathrooms wil lbe marked to maintain 6 feet between people.
- Bathrooms will be monitored to limit the number of people in there at a time, and they’ll be closing bathrooms periodically to sanitize and restock.
- The playground will be closed until further notice.
Trolls: World Tour
We Summon the Darkness
The Invisible Man
Sunset Drive-In Theatre
3935 Sunset Blvd.
52 miles from Charlotte
Shows movies Friday and Saturday nights.
Cost: $12 per car load. Cash only. No ATM on site.
OPENING IS DELAYED.
Sunset shows two movies every Friday and Saturday night from April through around Labor Day. No dogs, except service dogs. You can bring outside food if you clean up your mess.
Sunset has additional activities, like coloring contests and photo booths.
Tune in to radio station 97.7 FM.
Upcoming virtual events
Check out our big list of upcoming virtual events, or look at a few of them here:
Tuesday, May 26, 2020
Wednesday, May 27, 2020
Thursday, May 28, 2020
Friday, May 29, 2020
Saturday, May 30, 2020
Sunday, May 31, 2020
Monday, June 1, 2020
Tuesday, June 2, 2020
Wednesday, June 3, 2020
Thursday, June 4, 2020
Friday, June 5, 2020
Saturday, June 6, 2020
Sunday, June 7, 2020
Monday, June 8, 2020
All photos from venues’ Facebook pages.
Kings Mountain, NC