The Harvey B. Gantt Center for African-American Arts + Culture is hosting two Kwanzaa related events. (Scroll down for the December 28th celebration.)
Also, check out this big list of other Kwanzaa events in Charlotte.
Pre-Kwanzaa Workshop with Kwanzaa Charlotte
Saturday, December 14th, 2019
11 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.
Free for members., $5 general admission
Prepare for Kwanzaa by learning its history and traditions in an artful way!
This pre-Kwanzaa workshop is a session honoring the history of Kwanzaa, best tips on how to celebrate Kwanzaa at home and creation of Kwanzaa-inspired crafts. The workshop will be a combination of the following sub-themes:
- A Sankofa Moment: Looking back at the history of Kwanzaa, its roots and enduring legacy.
- Celebrating Kwanzaa at Home: An interactive workshop that discusses the Kiswahili terms used to describe the basic elements and seven symbols of Kwanzaa.
Saturday, December 28th, 2019
10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Join the Gantt Center for a day of hands-on art, performances and conversations about wellness and liberation which celebrate the principles of Kwanzaa. Create Kwanzaa keepsakes, sample local sweets and shop with some of Charlotte’s businesses of color in the Museum store.Event Schedule
- 10 am – 5 pm: Galleries open
- 10 am – 5 pm: Community Coloring
- 11 am, 1 pm & 4 pm: Guided Tours
- 12 pm: Hands On Art Workshops (Create your own Kwanzaa candle display)
- 12 noon – 2 pm: Rest as a Healing Place with Kelley Palmer
- 12:30 pm: Performance by Dance Rhythm Cheer Diamonds
- 2 pm – 4 pm: Drums 4 Life Drum Circle
- 3 pm – 5 pm: Design your Dream — Vision Boarding with Quintel “Quin” Gwinn
Rest as a Healing Place is an interactive educational session to share the causes, cues and pathways to healing from race-based traumatic stress injuries through yoga, meditation and mindfulness. The session includes:
- Facilitated group dialogue
- Guided meditation
- Seated or floor restorative yoga practice
More Kwanzaa Celebrations and Workshops
Learn about more Kwanzaa events in Charlotte or look at this condensed list here: