Learn about all the festivals that the U.S. National Whitewater Center is holding in 2019.
The U.S. National Whitewater Center, 5000 Whitewater Center Parkway, presents many festivals throughout the year. The festivals always include live music and yoga, as well as other elements, like trail races and different competitions. Whether you want to challenge yourself physically, or just relax, there are a wide variety of festivals for you to enjoy throughout the year.
As with all live music at the USNWC, the festivals are free, but there will be a cost to participate in races or competitions. Parking is $6. Other land and water activities at the Whitewater Center will be available at regular price. You can’t bring your own food or drinks into the Whitewater Center.
Here’s a list of the festivals that the U.S. National Whitewater Center hosts, month by month, with the highlights of each. Follow the links, if available, for the exact dates and details.
In addition to the festivals, there’s live music on Thursday, Friday, and Saturday throughout the season at River Jam, the Whitewater Film Series in the spring and fall, Friday night Clinics, Thursday night River Jam Run on the trails, Open Water Swim on the Catawba River, 9 weekly yoga practices, and much more. All of these activities are free.
Green River Revival
March 16, 2019
Green River Revival always takes place on a Saturday around St. Patrick’s Day.
Highlights of Green River Revival:
- Color Me Green 5K Trail Run, where green dye is thrown at runners
- Live music
- The river is dyed Shamrock green
April 25-28, 2019
Tuck Fest is the Whitewater Center’s signature festival.
Highlights of Tuck Fest:
- The nation’s largest outdoor sports and music festival
- High profile nationally and internationally touring bands
- Interactive Vendor Village with local and national outdoor brands
- Demos by outdoor outfitters
- An extensive list of races, competitions and obstacle courses for adults, kids and families
- $15,000 cash purse for the Deep Water Solo climbing competition
- In past years it’s featured performances like bicycle stunt shows, slackline exhibits, and dock jumping competitions for dogs
Memorial Day Celebration
May 26, 2019
Memorial Day Weekend, with the main event for the festival on Sunday.
Highlights of the Memorial Day Celebration:
- Live music by Ryan Montbleau and Anders Osborne
- Memorial Day Trail Race 5mi & 8mi
4th of July Celebration
July 3-4, 2019
Taking place over two days, the Whitewater Center’s 4th of July Celebration is one of the most popular ways to celebrate the holiday in Charlotte.
Highlights of the 4th of July Celebration:
- Live music by Los Colognes, Rayland Baxter, Smooth Hound Smith and North Mississippi Alstars
- Fireworks both nights
- Battle Royale Stand-Up Paddle Board Sprint race
August 3-4, 2019
The U.S. National Whitewater Center’s newest festival, Confluence, is all about music. It’s part festival and part conference.
At Confluence, musicians will perform and learn, and music lovers will discover new music.
There will be vendors, including those who repair instruments, music instructors, those who run recording studios, and others in the music business.
Live music by Dane Page, Orquesta Mayor, Mike Strauss, Emily Page, David Childers, Jim Avett, Dane Page, Downtown Abby and The Echos, Sinners & Saints, and more. There are six open slots, and if you’d like to suggest a local band or artist, fill out this form by July 1st.
Labor Day Celebration
September 1st, 2019 (Labor Day Sunday)
The Labor Day Celebration features competitions the whole weekend, and then the main celebration on Sunday.
Highlights of the Labor Day Celebration:
- Live music
- 5k and 15K Trail Race
September 21st and 22nd, 2019
2018 marks the first year for Flow Fest, which celebrates wellness and mindfulness in a natural, outdoor setting. It features a huge variety of yoga practices, as well as wine and kombucha sampling.
Highlights of Flow Fest:
October 5, 2019
The Whitewater Center’s Fall Festival has become a much-anticipated tradition, largely due to its Build-Your-Own-Boat (BYOB) Competition, where participants create their own river-worthy vessels and put them to the test with a trip down the whitewater competition channel. The festival also features cider sampling.
October 11-13, 2019
The newest festival on the Whitewater Center’s calendar, Outdoor Market, offers a first-hand chance to see and demo gear from top brands in the outdoor industry across various sports and disciplines. Over three days, this festival offers guests the opportunity to demo bikes, trail running shoes, kayaks, stand-up paddleboards, climbing gear and more.
Highlights of Outdoor Market:
- Live music (TBA)
- Interactive Exhibitor/Vendor Market
- Opportunity for free gear demos from local and national brands
- Group rides, runs, paddles
- Clinics in cycling, paddling & climbing
- Whitewater Film Series screening
Photos by U.S. National Whitewater Center