U.S. National Whitewater Center celebrates autumn with Build Your Own Boat on Saturday, October 16th, 2021.
The festival features the Build-Your-Own-Boat Competition, yoga and cider sampling.
Fall is looking great around Charlotte, whether you’re looking for something spooky or totally kid-friendly! Check out our HUGE list of fall festivals, a big list of Halloween parties, Trick or Treat events, and our list of pumpkin patches, haunted trails and corn mazes!
It’s free to attend the festival, but there are charges for the boat competition and cider tasting. Yoga classes are free.
In the Build Your Own Boat competition, you’ll try to navigate the whitewater channel in a boat that you built yourself.
It’s free (and fun!) to watch the competition, and to cheer on your favorite boats as they’re navigated the channel.
Available from 11 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Sample local breweries’ cider offerings. Four 4oz pours are included for $7. Guest must be 21+ with a valid ID.
Build Your Own Boat Competition
Register for $40 through October 14th, 2021. If available you can register for $50 the day of the competition. There will be a boat drop-off/float test on October 15th, from 5 p.m. to 7 p.m., at the upper pond.
- Event Capacity: 40 boats
- Participant Age Requirement: 16 years or older
- All boats must be human powered.
- All boat materials must float.
- Maximum Dimensions: 10′ wide x 10′ long x 5′ tall.
- Rope sections may not be longer than 18 inches and must be tied securely against the structure.
- No enclosures or compartments are permitted.
- Boat Weight Limit: 150 lbs. maximum.
The following materials are prohibited:
- Metal objects.
- Sharp objects.
- Straps or devices that hold participants to the craft.
- Manufactured craft designed for whitewater (rafts, kayaks, duckies, river boards, SUP, etc.).
- Wood (plywood, boards etc.) over 1/4″ thick.
Build Your Own Boat Schedule
- 10:00 am: Pass Activities open
- 11:00 am: Cider Sampling
- 12:00 pm: Build Your Own Boat Competition
- 1:00 pm: Yoga
There is a $6 parking charge.
Learn all about some of Charlotte’s fall festivals, or look at a quick list here: