Outdoor Shakespeare performances used to be a summer tradition in Charlotte, but not since 2014, when Charlotte Shakespeare last brought its performances to The Green.
We are getting another chance to enjoy FREE Shakespeare performances in the open air this summer.
Midsummer Nights @ Queens is a project of Actor’s Theatre of Charlotte. The performances will be free and will take place on the campus of Queens University of Charlotte, on Selwyn Avenue, in Myers Park.
Midsummer Nights @ Queens is scheduled to become a free annual event. This first summer, the group will be performing A Midsummer Night’s Dream. There will be eight performances from August 13th to 24th, 2019.
In this most magical of Shakespeare’s comedies, a quartet of young lovers, some fleeing a forced marriage, some chasing unrequited love, escapes Athens. In the forest, they collide with the squabbling Queen and King of the fairies, Titania and Oberon, as well as Oberon’s mischievous servant Puck and a pack of hapless craftsmen, the Mechanicals. In the magical woods, lovers change affections at the drop of a hat.
Performance Schedule of Midsummer Nights @ Queens:
Each performance starts at 8:15 p.m.
- Tuesday, August 13th, 2019
- Wednesday, August 14th, 2019
- Thursday, August 15th, 2019
- Friday, August 16th, 2019
- Saturday, August 17th, 2019
- Tuesday, August 20th, 2019
- Wednesday, August 21st, 2019
- Thursday, August 22nd, 2019
- Friday, August 23rd, 2019
- Saturday, August 24th, 2019
Bring a blanket or lawn chairs. You are welcome to bring a picnic. Those over 21 may bring their own beer and wine.
There will be pre-show activities for children.
You might also be interested in Shakespeare Carolina’s production of Cyrano at Winthrop University in late August and early September. Tickets are $2-$5.
- Hermia/Snug: Iesha Nyree
- Helena/Starveling: Anna Royal
- Demetrius/Snout: Adam Griffin
- Lysander/Flute: Jonathan Ford
- Theseus/Oberon: Steven Levine
- Hippolita/Titania: Nonye Obichere
- Egeus/Fairy/Quince: Kerstin Vanhuss
- Bottom: Peter Finnegan
- Puck/Philiostrate: Sarah Molloy
Producing Artistic Associate: Chester Shepherd