McAdenville Christmas is a treasured tradition in the Charlotte area. McAdenville is Christmas Town USA, and for good reason. For more than 60 years the Christmas lights display has drawn visitors to this small town west of Charlotte and east of Gastonia. Hundreds of thousands of lights set the scene for holiday displays.
Check out our huge day-by-day list of holiday events in the Charlotte area! We update it every day!
2023 is the 68th year of this holiday tradition, and the town will shine brightly once again! All the pictures in this article were taken in 2020, and you can expect even more in 2023.
While you’re visit McAdenville, or other spots in the Charlotte area, we’d love for you send us pictures of your favorite Christmas lights. Click on the button below to see the list and the map, and to submit a photo.
Keep reading for all the details about McAdenville — Christmas Town USA!
It is absolutely, definitely worth visiting! Get out of your car and walk around the business district, as well as the town.
It’s small enough that you can cover it on foot if you’re comfortable walking, and you’ll be amazed at the effort and creativity that McAdenville residents put into their displays.
Tree Lighting Ceremony
The lights will be turned on Thursday, December 1st, 2022. There will be a tree lighting ceremony at 5:30 p.m., at 208 Main Street, McAdenville, NC.
The switch will be turned by a student from McAdenville Elementary School, after an exciting countdown.
They then will glow nightly, with the last night December 26th, 2022. The hours will be 5:30 p.m. to 10 p.m. each night.
Some of what you’ll see at Christmas Town USA
- A large nativity scene at a location TBD in Downtown McAdenville
- Over 250 evergreens, covered with more than one-half million white and green lights in the center of town
- Floating Christmas trees on the lake (new this year!)
- Historical McAden Mill Bell Tower towers high about the lights and plays seasonal music
- Over 100 homes are beautifully decorated in December
Where to enter McAdenville
From I-85 South, take exit 26 in Belmont and enter Wesleyan Drive from Highway 74.
From I-85 North, take exit 22 and enter Main Street on Highway 7 from Lwell.
Both Church Street and Academy Street are closed to traffic.
You can drive through, but you can also park and walk, and we suggest that you do that. You’ve probably seen the long lines of cars on the exits from I-85, but you can totally avoid that if you’re able to walk around. Just arrive early, park the car, and enjoy a dinner or treat from one of McAdenville’s downtown businesses, and then walk around the town.
If you choose to drive, make sure to read all the information on the Christmas Town USA website.
If you do choose to park, please stay on the sidewalks. You can park:
- Behind the McAdenville Baptist Church/Caromont Clinic
- Poplar Street, behind The business area of town
- Beside the lake in the heart of Christmas Town.
- McAdenville Elementary School is a great place to park for those entering from US Highway 29-74.
Also, In the business area, street parking is allowed.
Dining and Shopping in McAdenville
Arrive early and enjoy dinner, treats and shopping in Downtown McAdenville.
Some establishments to check out:
- Terra Mia Ristorante, 129 1/2 Main Street
- Mona’s Boutique and Gifts, 121 Main Street
- Revolver Records, 109 Main Street
- Two Scoops Creamery, coming soon to Downtown McAdenville
- 115 Craft (Brewery), 115 Main Street
- The River Room, 102 Main Street
Yule Log Parade
The annual Yule Log Parade is on December 15th, 2022. Arrive in town early to lineup at 100 Main Street, where the Yule Log will be on a vintage sled. Singing will start at 5:30 p.m. The log will be pulled through the historic downtown to the Memorial Yule Log Fireplace at Legacy Park, where it will be placed on the fire. The festivities end around 7:30 p.m.
Double-Check Before You Head Out!
We make every effort to make sure that everything on Charlotte on the Cheap is 100% accurate.
However, sometimes things change without notice, and we are not always notified. It's also possible that we can make a mistake.
Please verify all deals and events with the venue or organizer before you go.
You might also be interested in:
- Free things to do this week
- Discounts on concert tickets, kids' activities, restaurants, more
- Most spectacular Christmas light displays
- Day by day list of holiday events
- North Carolina Christmas Gift Guide
- Christmas tree farms and lots
- Live nativities in the Charlotte area
- Pictures with Santa
- Hanukkah celebrations in Charlotte
- Charlotte area holiday markets
More Holiday Events
Check out our huge day-by-day list of holiday events in the Charlotte area or see a few here.
Pharr Family YMCA, McAdenville
208 Main St
McAdenville, NC (704) 824-1131
Pharr Corporate Offices, McAdenville
Downtown McAdenville — various locations