Founded in 2012, Charlotte New Music promotes the creation and performance of contemporary music in Charlotte and beyond.
The Charlotte New Music Festival takes place June 15th to 27th in 2020. Check back soon for information on the festival venues and performances.
But you don’t have to wait until June to experience the exciting and innovative music that Charlotte New Music is presenting. Charlotte New Music is bringing open mics and other events to venues around the Charlotte area.
You can see all the upcoming events on their facebook page.
Make sure to get the special Charlotte on the Cheap deal for the Light the Fire Fundraiser!
Charlotte New Music — Light the Fire
Charlotte New Music Presents: Light the Fire Fundraiser
Saturday, March 28th, 2020
5 p.m. to 9:30 p.m.
Canvas Tattoo & Art Gallery
3012 N Davidson Street
Admission + 2 drinks: $25 before March 6th; $30 after
See Eventbrite for more ticket options
Important: Use promo code cltcheap for $5 off tickets!
Love music and a bonfire? This will be an immersive music experience at a cool NoDa venue with outdoor concerts, food, a bar, bonfire, and auctions. By attending an event you won’t want to miss, you’ll be giving much-needed support to the educational and programming efforts lead by the only contemporary music organization in Charlotte.
Tickets get you in to see live music by 5 different acts of high voltage contemporary classical to jazz/funk and two free drinks!
- String quartet of Charlotte Symphony musicians featuring Jenny Topilow, Lenora Leggatt, Ben Geller, & Sarah Markle.
- Jessica Lindsey’s bass woodwind instrumentals with electronic stylings.
- Boundary-pushing vocalist from SpacePants, Jennifer Beattie.
- Electronic Jazz blazers RPE Duo (Matt Postle and Radek Rudnicki).
- Jazz-Funk band Groove 8 to get you moving!
- Bar (beer, wine, mixed drinks)
- Your admission ticket gets you two drinks
- Campfire-style appetizers + franks (beef or chicken), brats, and other food from the grill, for purchase
- FREE: Roast S’mores at one of the fire pits!
- Fire performers!
- Interactive music composition station – no experience necessary!
- 50/50 raffle
- Auction with unique one-of-a-kind services and offerings that you’ll only find at this event (both music and non-music related).
Some of the auction items:
- Win a private concert that you can host for you and your friends
- Unique art from local Charlotte artists
- Kendra Scott jewelry
- “Get down to business package” (includes 2 business consultation sessions, 2 creative writing and critical thinking sessions, and 1 brainstorming/ideas session)
- Membership to Charlotte’s hottest new jazz club (Middle C Jazz)
- Take guitar lessons from a seasoned professional
- Win a night out to the Charlotte Symphony Orchestra, Charlotte Ballet, or Middle C Jazz Club
- Need a date for your night out? Place a bid on a volunteer bachelor/bachelorette of your choice,
- Several other exclusive items and experiences
Charlotte New Music Open Mics
New Music Open Mic
Tuesday, March 24th, 2020
An entirely new kind of Open Mic for performers and composers of classical, contemporary classical, avant garde, experimental, electronic, electroacoustic, computer music, avant jazz, and innovative/experimental songwriting.
Meet and network with others that share the same interest.
Each open mic features a local artist for 30 minutes. March 24th’s featured artist is Joey Rincon, classical guitarist.
Sign up to perform, apply to become a featured artist, or get more info: charlottenewmusic.org/openmic
Find collaborators in our Collaborative Art Music Group: facebook.com/groups/509157023139273
Please plan on supplying your own performers and keeping your performance under 10 minutes. If you would really like more time, just let us know and we’ll try to fit it in if we have space with the rest of the signups. Piano: there will be a Roland FA-08 with Bose L1 sound system available for people to play. Composers, you may bring parts and see if you can find people to read through your music if you can’t people beforehand!
New Music Open Mic
Thursday, April 23rd, 2020
8 p.m. to 10 p.m.
Tip Top Daily Market
2902 The Plaza
At New Music Open Mics, professional musicians, amateurs, music students, and composers are welcome to publicly share music that they typically don’t get to perform or hear. It’s also a great place to meet and network with other local musicians, find collaborators, and strengthen this section of our music community.
Examples of music types: Classical, contemporary classical, avant garde, experimental, electronic, electroacoustic, avant jazz music, and innovative/experimental songwriting.
Perhaps you’d like to perform something new or unusual? Maybe you’d like to show another side of yourself with music that doesn’t fit the mold of “serious concert music”?
New Music Open Mics are presented by Charlotte New Music, in partnership with WDAV 89.9 Classical Radio Station.
More music in the Charlotte areaCheck out a list of upcoming free and inexpensive concerts in the Charlotte area, or a more comprehensive list of concerts in Charlotte, in all price ranges, in the next few days. Here are some of the free and low-priced concerts:
Monday, April 6, 2020
Tuesday, April 7, 2020
Wednesday, April 8, 2020
Thursday, April 9, 2020
Friday, April 10, 2020
Saturday, April 11, 2020
Sunday, April 12, 2020
Monday, April 13, 2020
Tuesday, April 14, 2020
Wednesday, April 15, 2020