Open Streets 704 is a one day event that happens twice a year in Charlotte.
Open Streets Festivals have been taking place in over 100 cities across North America, and Charlotte has held several Open Streets events.
What’s an Open Streets festival? It’s a special event during which streets are closed to automobile traffic and filled with everything from recreation and health activities to entertainment and environmental activities. They’re generally held on a Sunday, when traffic is at its lowest.
The next Open Streets 704 takes place on Sunday, April 19th, 2020, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. This time the route will include the four miles between Veteran’s Park and NoDa.
The activities along the four-mile route will be free, and there will be plenty of entertainment as well.
Scroll down to see a sample of some of the activities along the route, as well as a map.
Free bicycle rentals will be available:
- B-Cycle bike rentals: B-Cycle has provided free bicycle rentals at each hub for those that don’t have their two wheelers with them.
- TFKids Kids bicycle rentals: For families needing smaller bikes, Trips For Kids has been len ding some of their children’s fleet.
There will again be four zones, each with a different focus:
- Arts and Science: Opportunities abound to explore your creative side. Musical performances, artist demonstrations, interactive maker spaces, and dance ensembles of all ages will engage with Open Street 704.
- Southminster Family Zone: Fun for the whole family! From bean bag toss to a pop up dog park.
- Green Zone:Be prepared to learn about the nature all around you, plants and trees in your community, or lend a helping hand in the garden, and find out about local wildlife
- Wellness Zone:Explore a fitter, healthier version of you! Cooking demonstrations, yoga classes, Zumba, and healthy heart initiatives will fill this zone with fun
Check back soon to learn what’s happening along the route.