Open Streets 704 is a one day event, on Sunday, April 28th, 2019, from 1 p.m. to 5 p.m. Open Streets Festivals have been taking place in over 100 cities across North America, and Charlotte has held several Open Streets events.
Follow the Facebook event for updates.
What’s an Open Streets festival? It’s a special event during which streets are closed to automobile traffic and filled with everything from recreation and health activities to entertainment and environmental activities. They’re generally held on a Sunday, when traffic is at its lowest.
B-Cycle bike rentals: B-Cycle is providing free bicycle rentals at each hub for those that don’t have their two wheelers with them.
TFKids Kids bicycle rentals: For families needing smaller bikes Trips For Kids is lending some of their children’s fleet. This is a great chance to test out some new wheels!
The activities are FREE.
This time, the route will connect NoDa, Villa Heights, Belmont, Plaza Midwood and Commonwealth.
There will again be four zones, each with a different focus. Here are a few of the organizations that will be bringing activities to the different zones, but there’s much more going on.
Arts and Science: (Highlighted in RED) Opportunities abound to explore your creative side. Musical performances, artist demonstrations, interactive maker spaces, and dance ensembles of all ages will engage with Open Street 704.
- Help create a large mixed-media community art piece
- Caterpillar magnet craft and free native wildflower seed packets
- Welcome to Hogwarts: Harry Potter inspired photo booth and house sorting
- Table games and 9-square
- Arts and crafts
- Lear salsa, cha-cha slide, samba line dance and more
- Face painters, balloon twisters, stilt walkers, jugglers, more
- Decorate biodegradable flower pots
- Science of brewing
- Hula hoops
- BOOM Charlotte Festival in Plaza Midwood
Family Zone: (Highlighted in YELLOW) Fun for the whole family! From bean bag toss to a pop up dog park.
- Mandala “coloring book” style pavement designs
- Free bottled water and snacks
- Board games
- Line dancing
- Free lemonade
- Free nail art for kids
- Bike rodeo for kids
- Face painting
- Hula hoops
- Child IDs
- Pop-a-shot basketball
- Learn to juggle
- Bubbleman & Friends
- Tri-shaw rides
- Swag from Amazon
- Bounce house
- Free slushees
- Thumb portraits
- Free popsicles
- Tour of street art in NoDa
- Dog photo portraits
Green Zone: (Highlighted in GREEN) Be prepared to learn about the nature all around you, plants and trees in your community, or lend a helping hand in the garden, and find out about local wildlife!
- Human Tic Tac Toe
- Sidewalk chalk art
- DIY mini terrarium and urban herb gardens
- Recycling trivia games
- Bookmark making
- Water squirter painting
- Decorate a tree cookie necklace, bring home seedlings
- Register to vote
- Kindness Rock Project
- Free dog bandanas
- Dagorhir–medieval foam fighting game
- Sensory friendly tiny house
Wellness Zone: (Highlighted in BLUE) Explore a fitter, healthier version of you! Cooking demonstrations, yoga classes, Zumba, and healthy heart initiatives will fill this zone with fun!
- Large-scale outdoor games and video games
- Obstacle course
- Try an eBike (electronic bike)
- Barefoot lawn games, yoga, breathing technique sessions
- Camp Gladiator workouts
- Animal sketching and owl pellets
- Paper Hyacinth flower craft
- Disc golf
- Bike limbo
- Bicycle safety checks and adjustments
- Free nutrition drink
There are several stages and performance areas throughout the route.