The Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation works to ensure clean, plentiful water in the Catawba River Basin through advocacy and education. Learn more about what they do and how you can be involved.
The organization is offering a growing number of opportunities to kayak, included kayak rentals, guided tours, and kids’ programs. Read on to learn about just a few of those opportunities, as well as special events. Make sure to keep checking their website for more announcements.
You might also be interested in our list of 12 places to rent kayaks, canoes, and more near Charlotte.
Jam at the Dam
On Friday, July 2nd, 2021, from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., Catawba Riverkeeper is holding Jam at the Dam at the Boathouse, 115 Willow Drive, McAdenville. (Google maps might ID this as Gastonia or even Lowell.) This free event will include live music, and there will be a food truck at the Boathouse.
From 4 p.m. to 6 p.m., there will be a special deal on paddling. For just $15, rent kayaks, canoes, or standup paddleboards.
Then from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m., enjoy live music by Tim Bettencourt.
The Grill Sergeant hot dog truck will be on site from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m. The indoor and outdoor bars will be open, and the featured beer will be NoDa’s Jam Session. This event is family and pet friendly.
Kids’ Flatwater Kayaking
Kids’ kayaking days take place at different locations throughout the Catawba River Basin. Sessions run from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m., and cost $20, which includes the kayak, paddle, PFD, safety instruction, and a guided tour on the water.
These kayaking sessions are for kids ages 10-15.
- June 18 | Dutchmans Creek Access Area (Mt. Holly, NC)
- June 25 | Landsford Canal State Park (Catawba, SC)
- July 2 | Linville Access – Lake James (Marion, NC)
- July 9 | The Boathouse (McAdenville, NC)
- July 16 | Latta Nature Preserve – Gar Creek (Huntersville, NC)
- July 30 | Outdoor Classroom (Fort Lawn, SC)
- August 6 | Lake Norman State Park (Troutman, NC)
- August 13 | Lucia Access Area – Mtn. Island Lake (Stanley, NC)
- August 20 | Copperhead Island- McDowell Nature Preserve (Charlotte)
From May to September, you can rent a kayak for $20 at Kevin Loftin Riverfront Park in Belmont. This includes PFD and safety instruction.
There’s a lot of wildlife to see from the kayak on the Catawba River.
And stay tuned for a new experience. Soon, you’ll be able to rent a kayak from Catawba Riverkeeper’s headquarters in McAdenville and float down to Goat Island Park in Cramerton. Then they’ll shuttle you back to your car.
Thursday Evening Flatwater Kayaking
On Thursday evenings from June 3rd to September 2nd, 2021, Catawba Riverkeeper is offering evening flatwater kayaking experiences. They will take place on various waters in North and South Carolina.
The cost for a session is $25 per person, and that includes use of a kayak, a paddle, PFD, safety instruction, and a guided tour on the water.
These evening paddles are a great idea for date night, a happy hour with friends, or fun with the family. Children age 8 and older can participate.
The sessions will take place from 6 p.m. to 7:30 p.m.
Here’s the schedule:
- June 17 | Dutchmans Creek Access Area (Mt. Holly, NC)
- June 24 | Landsford Canal State Park (Catawba, SC)
- July 1 | Linville Access – Lake James (Marion, NC)
- July 8 | The Boathouse (McAdenville, NC)
- July 15 | Latta Nature Preserve – Gar Creek (Huntersville, NC)
- July 29 | Outdoor Classroom (Fort Lawn, SC)
- August 5 | Lake Norman State Park (Troutman, NC)
- August 12 | Lucia Access Area – Mtn. Island Lake (Stanley, NC)
- August 19 | Copperhead Island- McDowell Nature Preserve (Charlotte)
- August 26 | Tailrace Marina (Mt. Holly, NC)
- September 2 | Crowders Mountain
If you’re not doing this already, you can subscribe to Charlotte on the Cheap’s daily emails (just one a day), and follow us on Facebook and Twitter.
Follow Catawba Riverkeeper Foundation on Facebook to learn about future activities.
Upcoming Events in the Charlotte area -- both virtual and in-personCheck out our full events calendar, where you can enter any date, or look at the events for the next few days here:
Thursday, July 29, 2021
Friday, July 30, 2021
Saturday, July 31, 2021