The 6th Annual Charlotte Kosher BBQ Championship will be held at Levine Jewish Community Center, 5007 Providence Road, on Monday, September 2nd, 2019, from 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Admission and parking is free. A $5 donations is encouraged. It will go directly to fund food insecurity programs at Title 1 Charlotte-Mecklenburg Schools.
Scroll down for the schedule.
There will be a limited number of tasting tickets available for purchase so you can sample the competitors’ creations. Lunch and beverages will be available for purchase as well.
Lunch items include brisket, BBQ chicken, baked beans, slaw, hot dogs and veggie burgers.
- Kid Zone
- Watermelon Eating Contest
- Pickle Eating Contest
- Mechanical Bull
- Live music
Info on Eating Contests:
There will be two separate eating contests: A Pickle Eating contest and a Watermelon Eating contest for kids.
Rules for the Pickle Eating Contest: This is a speed eating contest. The child who finishes the most pickles in one minute will be declared the winner. The Kosher Pickle Eating Contest begins at 1:30 p.m.
Rules for the Watermelon eating Contest: This is a speed eating contest. At the conclusion of 1 minute, watermelon rinds will be counted and one child will be declared the winner. The Watermelon Eating Contest begins at 2:00 p.m.
Judges will be at each event and the ruling of the head judge at each event is final.
Please come to the Pavilion prior to the eating contest to participate. There is no registration for these events. A medal will be awarded to each contest winner.
Charlotte Kosher BBQ Championship Schedule:
- 11 a.m.: Gate open and welcome
- 11 a.m. to 3 p.m.: The band Aerial View performs
- 11 a.m.: Kids’ Zone, with inflatables, games, arts & crafts, bubbles, and more
- 11:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m.: Fairy Hair by Let There Be Sparkle
- 11:30 p.m.: Chicken judging
- 12 p.m.: Baked beans judging
- 12 p.m.: Team name and booth decoration judging
- 12 p.m. to 2 p.m.: Face painting
- 12:30 p.m.: Brisket judging
- 1 p.m.: Tasting tickes open. Voting for People’s Choice begins (vote ends at 1:45 p.m.)
- 1 p.m.: Pickle Eating Contest
- 1:45 p.m.: Watermelon Eating Contest
- 1:45 p.m.: JSTAGE Performance
- 2:15 p.m.: Awards and announcement of Grand Champion