Update: Matthews Alive has been canceled for 2021.
This is the statement from Matthews Alive, as released on Facebook:
In a unanimous Board of Directors vote, with the support of the Town of Matthews as well as Presenting Sponsor Novant Health – Matthews Medical Center, the 2021 Matthews Alive Festival scheduled for September 3-6, 2021, will be canceled for the second year in a row. The safety, health, and wellness of festival partners and attendees remain a priority for this family-friendly event.Matthews Alive Board of Directors
The very popular festival Matthews Alive is returning in 2021! It will take place at Stumptown Park, 120 S. Trade Street, Matthews, Friday, September 3rd, to Monday, September 6th, 2021.
The annual festival, a Charlotte area Labor Day weekend tradition, is dedicated to the support of local non-profit organizations through music, arts and community involvement.
The festival features live music, rides, games, an arts and crafts market, food and drink vendors, and a Labor Day parade.
Admission is free. You’ll need a wristband for rides.
Some slight adjustments for this year: the Community Center will be closed. Activities will all take place outside, although indoor restrooms will be available Bounce houses that usually contain 6 or more children at once will be replaced with inflatable games that can be cleaned more easily between participant use. Food and craft vewndors, as well as the Petting Zoo and the Kids’ Train, will have hand sanitizer and hand-washing stations.
The theme of this year’s parade is “Labor (Day) of Love.” The grand marshal will be Roland Bibeau, former president of Novant Health — Matthews Medical Center. If you’d like to participate in the parade, you can learn more, and apply, here.
Hours of Matthews Alive
- Friday: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Monday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Shag dance on the dance floor, and enjoy the best of Carolina beach music!
- Get an all-you-can-ride wristband for just $15
- Special deals and promotions from Exhibitors on Sponsor Row.
- 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Carolina Soul Band
- 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.: The Chairmen of the Board
- The Labor Day Parade starts at 9:30 a.m. It’s one of the largest Labor Day parades in the Southeast.
- Arts & Crafts Pavilion opens at 10 a.m., with over 150 arts and crafts vendors.
- Kids’ Connection, Kids’ Stage and Crafts
- 2:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Mixtape Side A — various genres of music on the Main Stage
- 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Continuum (Journey tribute band)
- 2:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Mixtape Side B — various genres of music on the Main Stage
- 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Bohemian Queen (Queen tribute band)
- 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Jazz on the Main Stage