The very popular festival Matthews Alive is returning in 2023! It will take place at the corner of John and Trade Streets in Historic Downtown Matthews, from Friday, September 1, to Monday, September 4, 2023.
The annual festival, a Charlotte area Labor Day weekend tradition, is dedicated to the support of local non-profit organizations through music, arts and community involvement.
The festival features three stages of live music, rides, games, an arts and crafts market, food and drink vendors, a kids’ zone, and a Labor Day parade.
Admission is free. Tickets are required for the carnival rides, games, and inflatable attractions, and can be purchased on-site. An “all you can ride” wristband is available on Friday, starting at 4 p.m., an earlier start time than previous years.
Hours of Matthews Alive
- Friday: 6 p.m. to 10 p.m. (rides open at 4 p.m., with “all you can ride” wristband)
- Saturday: 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. (parade at 9:30 a.m.)
- Sunday: 1 p.m. to 10 p.m.
- Monday: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.
There will be kid-friendly entertainment on the kids’ stage, and, surrounding the stage will be plenty of fun, including a ninja mobile course and fun size equipment.
- Beach Night on the Main Stage
- 6:30 to 8 p.m.: The Holiday Band
- 8:30 to 10 p.m.: Gary Lowder & Smokin’ Hot
- All-you-can-ride wristband night at the carnival (starting 4 p.m.)
- The Labor Day Parade starts at 9:30 a.m. It’s one of the largest Labor Day parades in the Southeast.
- Kids’ Connection, Kids’ Stage and Small Shops open
- 4:30 to 8 p.m.: Mixtape Side A — various genres of music on the Main Stage
- 8:30 to 10 p.m.: Brass Transit (Chicago Tribute Band)
- 4:30 p.m. to 8 p.m.: Mixtape Side B — various genres of music on the Main Stage
- 8:30 p.m. to 10 p.m.: Classic Stones (Rolling Stones Tribute Band)
- 11:30 a.m. to 5 p.m.: Low-Key Vibes on the Main Stage