The summer heat can be dangerous, especially for seniors. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 658 people die annually from extreme heat.
Here are some tips from the CDC on preventing heat-related illness among older adults during times of extreme heat.
- Stay in air-conditioned buildings as much as possible. If your home doesn’t have air conditioning, contact your local health department or locate an air-conditioned shelter in your area.
- Do not rely on a fan as your main cooling source when it’s really hot outside.
- Drink more water than usual and don’t wait until you’re thirsty to drink.
- If your doctor limits the amount of fluids you drink or has you on water pills, ask them how much you should drink during hot weather.
- Don’t use the stove or oven to cook—it will make you and your house hotter.
- Wear loose, lightweight, light-colored clothing.
- Take cool showers or baths to cool down.
- Do not engage in very strenuous activities. Get plenty of rest
- Check on a friend or neighbor and have someone do the same for you.
Mecklenburg County Park and Recreation is helping senior adults cope with the heat by offering free fans at 6 Park and Recreation Community Centers and senior centers.
Individuals aged 60 and better, and those aged 18 to 59 who receive disability income, can register to pick up a fan while supplies last. You are required to show a valid driver’s license or state ID providing proof of age and a current Mecklenburg County address when picking up a fan. Limit one fan per person.
Call the location closest to you or pre-register online at parkandrec.com for a date and time to pick up a fan; no walk-ups allowed.
The fans are provided through a grant from Duke Energy.
Albemarle Road Recreation Center
5027 Idlewild Road North, Mint Hill NC 28227
Bette Rae Thomas Center
2921 Tuckaseegee Rd Charlotte NC 28208
Mallard Creek Recreation Center
2530 Johnston-Oehler Rd Charlotte NC 28269
Methodist Home Recreation Center
3200 Shamrock Dr Charlotte NC 28215
Southview Recreation Center
1720 Vilma St Charlotte NC 28208
Tyvola Senior Center
2225 Tyvola Rd Charlotte NC 28210
For questions, please contact Recreation Coordinator Trena Palmer at 980-314-1049 or Trena.Palmer@MecklenburgCountyNC.gov.