Charlotte Museum of History, at 3500 Shamrock Drive, is hosting a free community-wide celebration of the Piedmont Backcountry on Saturday, September 7th, 2019, from 12:00 p.m. to 5:00 p.m.
The event will feature music, tours of Mecklenburg County’s oldest home and more.
The festival explores the history and culture of the Carolina Backcountry’s early residents, including European colonists, enslaved people, and the Catawba Indian Nation, and the enduring traditions that impact our daily lives and artistic expression today.
Charlotte Folk Society is partnering with Charlotte Museum of History for music. Charlotte Folk Society is a nonprofit dedicated to promoting the enjoyment and preservation of traditional and contemporary folk music, dance, crafts, and lore in the Piedmont area.
Scroll down for a full schedule.
Bring a lawn chair or picnic blanket and relax. Enjoy an outdoor concert. Food will be available for purchase.
- Learn about traditional foodways in the reproduction 18th century kitchen
- Blacksmithing demos
- Textile production demos
- Basketry demos
- Learn how instruments are made
- 12:00 p.m. – 1:00 p.m. Old Time and Celtic Music
- 1:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Singer-Songwriter Music and Native American Storyteller
- 2:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Bluegrass and Country Music
- 3:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Contemporary Folk and Crossover Music
- 4:00 p.m. – 5:00 p.m. Ron Hankins History Talks Lecture Series Sponsored by Wells Fargo and Featuring Laura Boosinger
- 12:00 p.m. – 2:00 p.m. Cooking Demonstrations
- 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Historic Trades Demonstrations
- 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Open House of the Historic Rock House
- 1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m. Arts + Instrument Petting Zoo
- 12:00 p.m. – 4:00 p.m. Opening of the New Exhibit “Furnishing the Backcountry”
- The Charlotte Museum of History Docents & Volunteers
- The Charlotte Folk Society
- Arts +
- The Native American Studies Center of USC Lancaster
- The Olde Mecklenburg Genealogical Society
- The Charlotte Herb Guild
- Instrument Makers George Thomas and Mark Willingham
- The Mecklenburg Militia and Piedmont Partisans
- King of Pops
- The Chimi Spot Food Truck