Local artist Meredith Connelly is lighting it up again! She is known in Charlotte for her Fairy Ring installation in the 2021 I Heart Rail Trail: Lights installation, and for her Lights art trail at the U.S. Whitewater Center in 2019 and 2020.
Her art installations use light to create whimsical and magical experiences for people of all ages.
She’s taking the magic to a new level with a new permanent exhibit, Fairy Ring, in the communal green space of Atherton, 2000-2140 South Boulevard, Charlotte.
This installation will be a supercharged version of the fairy ring of 2021.
It will include about 100 cast fiberglass fungi of various sizes, representing mushrooms from around the world.
Each mushroom has internal light that creates a soft glow around it.
Community Lighting Event
Atherton is hosting a community lighting event for the installation on Thursday, February 17th, 2022, from 5:30 to 8:30 p.m.
The event will include kids’ activities, music, food, drinks and more.
The installation will light up at 6:30 p.m.
- Live music by Kadey Ballard
- Fairy dustings and encounters with Vicsin Art and Style
- A night market of local vendors from the South End Market as well as retailers from Atherton
- Food and drink
Night Market Vendors:
- Madewell – Atherton retailer featuring their denim donation cart (donate a pair of old jeans and you can get $20 off a new pair of their jeans) plus discount cards and more
- Ash & Ochre – contemporary crafts, wares and vintage for the home
- Urban Gourmet – fresh mushrooms
- Mano Bella – fresh pasta
- Thoughtful Baking – homemade pies
- Rub a Dub – all natural soaps
- It’s Poppin’ – kettle corn
- Jewelry by SusanJ
- Jewelry by Ang
- Ekologicall – zero waste shop
- Taylor Homestead – handmade soaps & locally sourced alpaca products
- Thank You Mother Earth – hand poured candles
- Hi-End Pottery – handmade pottery
- Two Chicks Candles – hand poured candles
Evening mushroom specials inside Atherton:
- Trolley Barn Fermentory: mushroom-featured Chef Special dish and a fairy-themed cocktail and mocktail in their restaurant the night of the event and throughout the weekend.
- Savory Spice: spices made of mushrooms or that are great for mushroom dishes in addition to mouth-watering recipes using mushrooms.
This is a free event. More information about the event.
Double-Check Before You Head Out!
We make every effort to make sure that everything on Charlotte on the Cheap is 100% accurate.
However, sometimes things change without notice, and we are not always notified. It's also possible that we can make a mistake.
Please verify all deals and events with the venue or organizer before you go.
You might also be interested in:
- Subscribing to Charlotte on the Cheap's email list
- Best skyline views in Charlotte for photos
- Best food and drink deals in Charlotte
- 50+ walks and hikes in and near Charlotte
- 5 cat cafes in Charlotte
- Resources for pet owners in Charlotte
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Charlotte art museums, galleries and events
- Charlotte on the Cheap events calendar
- Charlotte area farmers markets
More art events
Check out our full calendar of Charlotte art museums, galleries and events or look at a few events here: