Charlotte Mecklenburg Library’s MeckTech Computer Kit Program distributes free laptops to Mecklenburg County adults without a home computer.
Each kit includes a refurbished laptop optimized for accessing the internet, joining virtual meetings, creating documents, and more.
MeckTech applications opened on September 1, 2022 for fall distributions and will reopen in early 2023 for any remaining devices until all laptops have been distributed.
Through the Emergency Connectivity Fund (ECF), Charlotte Mecklenburg Library will be issuing 20,000 refurbished laptops to eligible adults in Mecklenburg County. Each laptop is free and includes a preloaded productivity and education applications as well as all necessary hardware needed for set-up.
- Be 18 years or older
- Be a Mecklenburg County resident
- Have an active email address (all communication will be done via email)
- Understand that MeckTech devices are provided as-is with open-source software only and do not come with dedicated technical support
- Have a photo ID with a corresponding identification number (such as a driver’s license or state ID, employee ID, passport, student ID, tribal enrollment card, etc.)
- Provide proof of Mecklenburg County address (PO Boxes will not be accepted)
- Sign a statement attesting that they would not otherwise have the technology necessary to meet their educational/informational needs