U.S. National Whitewater Center hosts Build Your Own Boat on Saturday, October 14, 2023 from 12 to 4 p.m.
Fall is looking great around Charlotte, whether you’re looking for something spooky or totally kid-friendly! Check out our HUGE list of fall festivals, a big list of Halloween parties, Trick or Treat events, and our list of pumpkin patches, haunted trails and corn mazes!
It’s free to attend the festival, but there are charges for the boat competition.
In the Build Your Own Boat competition, you’ll try to navigate the whitewater channel in a boat that you built yourself.
It’s free (and fun!) to watch the competition, and to cheer on your favorite boats as they’re navigated the channel.
Build Your Own Boat Competition
Register for $40. Registration is capped at 60 boats. There will be a boat drop-off/float test on October 13 from 4 p.m. to 8 p.m., at the River Center.
- Event Capacity: 60 boats
- Teams may conist of 1-4 people
- Participant Age Requirement: 16 years or older
- All boats must be human powered.
- All boat materials must float.
- Maximum Dimensions: 10′ wide x 10′ long x 5′ tall.
- Rope sections may not be longer than 18 inches and must be tied securely against the structure.
- No enclosures or compartments are permitted.
- Boat Weight Limit: 150 lbs. maximum.
The following materials are prohibited:
- Metal objects.
- Sharp objects.
- Straps or devices that hold participants to the craft.
- Manufactured craft designed for whitewater (rafts, kayaks, duckies, river boards, SUP, etc.).
- Wood (plywood, boards etc.) over 1/4″ thick.
There is a $6 parking charge.
Check out this list of the biggest fall festivals and Halloween events in Charlotte (or just keep reading for a list of upcoming festivals.)