The weekend of April 26-28, 2019, BOOM will take over Plaza Midwood. This festival is an artist-led showcase of experimental and contemporary visual and performance art and is described as a weekend of art, performance and the unexpected. There will be activities and performances for all ages.
The hours of BOOM are:
- Friday: 6 p.m. to 11 p.m.
- Saturday: 1 p.m. to 12 a.m.
- Sunday: 1 p.m. to 7 p.m.
On Sunday, BOOM will be part of Open Streets 704. Streets in Plaza Midwood, as well as NoDa, Belmont, Villa Heights and Commonwealth, will be closed to car traffic and open for fun.
At this fringe festival, artists are free to experiment and break with tradition.
Events at venues in Plaza Midwood will be ticketed, at $10, but there will also be free events outside at the Intersection Stage.
Intersection Stage Schedule at BOOM
Friday, April 26th
- 6 p.m.: Open Door Studios (dance)
- 6:25 p.m.: AmorayéAayonna (music)
- 7:05 p.m.: Yung Citizen (music)
- 8:30 p.m.: NeKa (music)
- 9 p.m.: Reel Out Charlotte–Charlotte Pride (film)
- 9:45 p.m.: Tuxedo Kat (dance)
Saturday, April 27th
- 1 p.m.: Rhythmic Soul Dance Company (dance)
- 1:40 pm.: Ali Steele (music)
- 2:15 p.m. to 4:15 p.m.: Tosco Music Party (music and dance)
- 2:30 p.m.: 5:30 p.m.: Charlotte Symphony (music–children’s activity)
- 3 p.m.: Airing Out the “Dirty” Laundry Installation (art exhibit)
- 4:15 p.m.: Kurma Murrain (storytelling)
- 4:30 p.m.: Charlotte New Music (music)
- 5:05 p.m.: One Voice Chorus (music)
- 6:30 p.m.: TwinNation Dance Company (dance)
- 7:25 p.m.: Terry-Typhoon (spoken word)
- 7:40 p.m.: Von Hunter (music)
- 8:15 p.m.: Moving Body Dance Company (dance)
- 8:40 p.m.: Nani Lee (Visual art)
- 8:55 p.m.: WaterWorks (music)
- 9:30 p.m.: North by North (music)
Sunday, April 28th
- 1 p.m.: Aerial CLT (dance)
- 1 p.m.: Seph Dot from The Bushes (music)
- 1:30 p.m.: Artist Universe (dance)
- 1:30 p.m.: Lundgren Street Circus (performance art)
- 1:50 p.m.: DJ Sir Charles (music)
- 2 p.m.: Egypt Elizabeth (music)
- 2:15 p.m.: Opera Recycles at BOOM (music)
- 2:30 p.m.: Girls Rock Charlotte / Rainbow Girls (music)
- 2:45 p.m.: Jason Jet (music)
- 3:15 p.m.: Harry Taylor, Nick Tutwiler, David Fee (music)
- 3:45 p.m.: Ballet International Africans (dance)
- 4 p.m.: Mayor Talib (music)
- 4:15 p.m.: Soca Fit USA (dance)
- 4:30 p.m.: Ife Michelle Dance Company (dance)
- 5 p.m.: GameBreax (music)
- Coaltrane’s, 118 Central Avenue
- Open Door Studios, 1318-D Central Avenue
- Snug Harbor, 1228 Gordon Street
- Petra’s, 1919 Commonwealth Avenue
- The Rabbit Hole, 1801 Commonwealth Avenue
- The Underground Truffle, 1600 Fulton Avenue
On Sunday, April 28th, BOOM is part of Open Streets 704, a festival that will close streets in NoDa, Plaza Midwood, Commonwealth, Villa Heights, and Belmont to car traffic, and open them up to activities, performances, art, culture and more.