UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens, 9090 Craver Road, is free to visit. It also hosts many free and inexpensive events.
Open every day during daylight hours
The McMillan Greenhouse
Monday to Saturday: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.
Upcoming events at UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens
Stories in the Woods
Sunday, January 20th, 2019
Sunday, February 24th, 2019
Sunday, March 17th, 2019
2 p.m. to 3 p.m.
Listen to stories surrounded by the beautiful woods at the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens. Bring a blanket. Meet at the picnic tables in the Susie Harwood Garden.
Parking options on the weekends include any unmarked parking space on campus. The closest large lot is Lot 5. Just follow the gravel path towards the greenhouse and the Garden will be on your right. Restrooms are located at the adjacent McMillan Greenhouse.
This free 3 month long program is a collaboration between the Charlotte Mecklenburg University City Library and the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens. Donations are welcome.
Ganache at the Gardens
Sunday, February 10th
11 a.m. to 4 p.m.
McMillan Greenhouse, 9090 Craver Road
Free (items for purchase)
Join the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens for a celebration of chocolate just in time for Valentine’s Day. Learn about the cocoa tree and how its fruits are processed into delectable confections. Enjoy romantic classical music and free samples. Be sure to visit the orchid display too.
- Jeff Gillman, UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens’ Director presents short talk about the cocoa tree at 11:30 am and 3:00 pm
- Chocolate making demo by Esa Weinreb, Head Chocolate Maker at The Underground Truffle at 12:00 pm and 1:30 pm
- Classical Flutist, Jennifer Dior of Charlotte Symphony at 12:30 pm
- Classical Guitarist, Todd Tipton of Noda Guitar Studio at 2:00 pm
- Free chocolate samples
- Free hot cocoa
Available for purchase:
- Artisan chocolates from The Underground Truffle
- Botanical resin jewelry with flowers and leaves from the UNC Charlotte Botanical Gardens from Spotted Dog Jewelry of Asheville, NC ($24 and up)
- A variety of orchids priced $10-$50
Annual Orchid Sale
February 9th to 14th, 2019
9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (except Sunday, when the hours are 1 p.m. to 4 p.m.)
Free (Orchids range from $10 to $14)
A Valentine’s tradition in Charlotte, the annual orchid sale gives you the opportunity to buy something (hopefully) lasting for your Valentine.
Saturday, February 23rd, 2019
1 p.m. and 2 p.m. (45 minutes each)
$5 per person ($15 for families of 3+)
Free for members.
Winter walks highlight the wonders of the gardens in the winter. Winter-blooming shrubs, intriguing evergreens, and plants with interesting bark and bright berries will be discussed.
Children and families can join walks to see winter birds, animal tracks, and complete a scavenger hunt
Note: Meet at McMillan Greenhouse to check in. Access to the trail is down a steep gravel path. Close toed shoes and appropriate attire for weather conditions are recommended.