If you’re a Mecklenburg County home-owner you might be able to receive a grant up to $426, with an additional $234 if you live in Charlotte.
The Helping Out Mecklenburg homeowners with Economic Support (HOMES) Program provides grants to qualifying residential homeowners to help address the rising costs of retaining their homes.
Applications are accepted from July 1 to November 17, 2023, and the grants are awarded on a first-come, first-served basis, until the funds are exhausted, so don’t delay in applying if you’re eligible.
Who is eligible?
The program is available to homeowners whose household income does not exceed 80% of the area’s median income, based on the number of people in the family. The income requirements are set annually by the Department of Housing and Urban Development.
FY2023 Income Limits in Charlotte HUD Metro Area
This is the household income limit based on how many people are in the family.
- 1 person: $55,850
- 2 people: $63,800
- 3 people: $71,800
- 4 people: $79,750
- 5 people: $86,150
- 6 people: $92,550
- 7 people: $98,900
- 8 people: $105,300
More Eligibility Requirements
- The property must be located within Mecklenburg County, North Carolina.
- The property must be the owner’s legal primary residence at the time of application and consistently for the past three consecutive years as verified by recorded legal documents.
- The resident grant recipient’s name(s) must be on the recorded deed or title.
- When the qualifying person’s name is not on the deed but on a recorded life estate, the person may participate in the program.
There are some other program considerations as well. You can’t receive the grant if you participate in another tax relief program. Please find all the details at dcr.mecknc.gov/Housing/HOMES.
How Much is the Grant?
The grant is for 25% of the Mecklenburg County tax amount on the last available tax bill, rounded to the nearest dollar, up to $426. If you live in Charlotte City limits, there’s an additional grant up to 25% of the City of Charlotte tax amount on the last available tax bill, rounded to the nearest dollar, up to $234.
How Do You Receive the Money?
If approved, the grant fund will be paid to the Mecklenburg County Tax Collector, who will reduce the total amount of taxes due.
How To Apply for the HOMES Grant?
You can apply online, in English or Spanish, or by paper.
If you need a paper application:
- Request a paper application by calling 980-314-HOME (4663).
- Visit VCW-CRC lobby at 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 1000, Charlotte NC 28208.
- Visit the Mecklenburg County Assessor’s Office at 3205 Freedom Drive, Suite 3500, Charlotte NC 28208.