Reedy Creek Nature Center, 2900 Rocky River Road, will hold its popular Hummingbird Festival Saturday, August 24th, 2019, from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Ruby-throated hummingbirds, who have been spending the summer in Charlotte, are ready to make a 500+ mile journey back to Central America for the winter. This party will be a send-off from them.
The event will be held rain or shine. Vendors and food trucks will be on site.
Free Activities Include:
- Bird Banding by Susan Campbell from 9 a.m. to 11 a.m.
- Birding Hikes
- “The Great Hummingbird Challenge”
- Face painting
- Guest speakers
- Drum circle
- Food vendors
Guest Speakers Schedule:
- 10 a.m.: Jill Palmer of Mecklenburg County Audubon Society – Effects of Climate Change on Birds
- 11 a.m.: Debbie Foster of H.A.W.K. – Habitat for Hummingbirds
- 12 p.m.: Judy Walker of Mecklenburg County Audubon Society – Bird Migration 101
- 1 p.m.: Lisa Thompkins of Piedmont Native Plant Society – Native Plants for Hummingbirds and other Pollinators
- 2 p.m.: Susan Campbell will talk about her research on hummingbirds