Historic Rural Hill, 4431 Neck Road, Huntersville, is a historic site and nature preserve. Rural Hill was the homestead of one of the signers of the Mecklenburg Declaration of Independence, John Davidson. Read all about Rural Hill’s history here.
On September 2 and 3, 2023, Historic Rural Hill is hosting The Battle of Charlotte, a living history event.
The event takes place from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. on Saturday and 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. on Sunday.
Make sure to check out our list of Labor Day Weekend events in the Charlotte area, including several festivals, outdoor concerts and some really interesting art!
- One day only (child 5-12): $6
- One day only (adult 13+): $13
The event will feature Revolutionary War battle reenactments, including:
- Battle of Charlotte — September 26, 1780
- Battle of the Bees (Battle of McIntyre’s Farm) — October 3, 1780
In addition, the weekend will feature:
- Kids’ drill
- Weapons demonstrations
- Artillery demonstrations
- Camp life
Schedule of Events
- 9 a.m.: Open camp, programming, demonstrations, shopping begins
- 9:15 a.m.: Wreath laying ceremony
- 10 a.m.: Cornwallis appearance — photo ops with Cornwallis at step in cemetery following appearance
- 11 a.m.: Battle of Charlotte explanation
- 1 to 3 p.m.: Kids’ crafts activities
- 1:15 to 2 p.m.: Meck Dec reading
- 2 p.m.: Battle of Charlotte Reenactment
- 3:30 p.m.: Ax throwing contest, skillet throwing contest, cooking contest
- 5 p.m.: Event ends
- 10 a.m.: Open camp, programming, demonstrations, shopping begins
- 11 a.m.: The Role of African Americans in the Revolutionary War, by Michael Turner
- 12:30 p.m.: Cannon firing demonstration
- 1 to 3 p.m.: Kids’ craft activities
- 2 p.m.: Battle of the Bees reenactment
- 4 p.m.: Event ends
More Labor Day Weekend Events
Check out our highlighted Labor Day Weekend events in Charlotte, or look at our full calendar for Labor Day Weekend here: