TreesCharlotte, an organization dedicated to increasing Charlotte’s tree canopy, holds several free TreeStores every year. At these events, Charlotte residents can receive free trees, as well as training on how to care for them.
These aren’t little saplings. The trees are 6 to 10 feet tall, in 7-gallon containers. You’ll also get two bags of mulch.
In order to clear their inventory of trees and keep everyone safe, TreesCharlotte is hosting what they’re calling the Big Tree/Everything-Must-Go/Drive-Thru Citywide TreeStore.
It will take place on May 16th, 2020. When you register you’ll choose a time, either 11 a.m. to 12 p.m., or 12 p.m. to 1 p.m.
The drive-thru event will take place at Noble Smoke, 2216 Freedom Drive.
You need to register in advance. Registration takes place from Monday, May 11th, until midnight on May 13th. Register here.
Here are all the details on how this will work:
- You must pre-register for trees. Registration opens Monday, May 11 and closes at midnight Wednesday, May 13. Scroll down below the list of species for the link.
- Each address/household can get up to 3 trees. While the registration form does not limit the total number of trees, registrations requesting more than 3 trees will be notified and removed.
- This TreeStore will be drive-thru only to limit personal contact. You will be expected to load your own trees and mulch. Neighbors are encouraged to work together to pick up multiple orders with one vehicle.
- On the registration form, you will choose a time-frame to pick up your tree (11-noon, noon-1 p.m.). You must pick up your trees at some point during your time-frame. Trees not picked up will be forfeited and placed back into inventory to be given out at the end of the event.
- About the trees: The trees are in 7-gallon containers, measure 6-15 feet tall and weigh about 20-25 pounds. The mulch weighs 25 pounds/bag. As you’ll see below, you have several species of oak trees to choose from. Links are provided to learn more about each species; please do your homework first to ensure you’re putting the right tree in the right place.
- Important note: TreesCharlotte typically does not distribute trees this late in the spring – newly planted trees fare better when there’s cooler weather ahead. They hope that with your love and care, they will flourish once planted. But if they don’t, they’ll be back in the fall with more TreeStores!
- TreesCharlotte will send a follow-up email with planting instructions – including a planting video – watering instructions and specific information about the species you select.
- TreesCharlotte’s mission is to help the City of Charlotte reach its goal of 50% tree canopy by 2050. They, therefore, limit participation to residents within Charlotte city limits. At this time, they do not serve Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville, Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, Mecklenburg County or other municipalities outside Charlotte.
The following species of trees will be available to register for:
- Oak, Overcup
- Oak, Shumard
- Oak, Willow