TreesCharlotte, an organization dedicated to increasing Charlotte’s tree canopy, holds several free TreeStores every year. At these events, Charlotte residents can receive free trees, as well as training on how to care for them. In general, each household can receive up to two free trees per event. When you register you’ll get to select what kind of tree you’d like.
Subscribe to their newsletter to hear about events as they’re announced or updated.
Read on to see the schedule of fall tree giveaways!
There are two kinds of TreeStores:
- Citywide TreeStores: open to everyone in Charlotte
- Zip code TreeStores: open to people in specific zip codes
Fine Print on Tree Adoptions (formerly known as TreeStores)
- Each Charlotte address/household can get up to 2 trees. While the registration form does not limit the total number of trees, households requesting more than 2 trees will be notified and removed.
- A valid email address is required to register.
- Please allow for at least 45 minutes to receive your trees as everyone is required to go through a planting demonstration.
- They are continuing to implement staggered pickup times. On the registration form, you will choose a time frame to pick up your trees.
- At the TreeAdoption, you will be taught how to properly plant and care for your tree(s). Tree training is mandatory.
- About the trees: The trees are in 3, 5, and 7-gallon containers, measure 6-10 feet tall, and weigh about 10-15 pounds. The mulch weighs 25 pounds/bag. Links to the species they are offering are provided below. Please do your homework first to ensure you’re putting the right tree in the right place. Once registered, selections are final and cannot be changed.
- TreesCharlotte will send a follow-up email with planting instructions – including a planting video – watering instructions and specific information about the species you select.
- They limit participation to residents within Charlotte city limits. At this time, they do not serve Matthews, Mint Hill, Pineville, Huntersville, Davidson, Cornelius, or any other municipalities outside Charlotte.
TreesCharlotte events in Winter 2023
End of Season Citywide TreeAdoption
March 18th, 2023
8:30 to 11:30 a.m.
City of Charlotte Landscape Management
701 Tuckaseegee Road, Charlotte, NC
This event is for anyone living in Charlotte. Registration is required and opens at 10 a.m. on March 13th. It closes when trees “sell out” or at 12:01 a.m. Thursday, March 16th.
Available species (quantities limited):
- Hornbeam, European Upright
- Redbud, Flamethrower
- Redbud, Rising Sun
- Redbud, Eastern
- Crepe Myrtle, Double Dynamite
- Magnolia, Butterflies
- Magnolia, Inspiration
- Cherry, Yoshino
- Maple, Celebration
- Hornbeam, American
- Yellowwood, American
- Dogwood, Kousa
- Cryptomeria, Yoshino
- Holly, Oakland
- Magnolia, Kay Parris
- Pine, Loblolly
- Sycamore, Exclamation
- Oak, Nuttall
- Arborvitae, Green Giant
- October Glory Maple
- Redbud, Forest Pansy
- Magnolia, Moonglow
- Redwood, Amberglow Dawn
- Plum, Purple Leaf
- Elm, Allee
Double-Check Before You Head Out!
We make every effort to make sure that everything on Charlotte on the Cheap is 100% accurate.
However, sometimes things change without notice, and we are not always notified. It's also possible that we can make a mistake.
Please verify all deals and events with the venue or organizer before you go.
You might also be interested in:
- Subscribing to Charlotte on the Cheap's email list
- Best skyline views in Charlotte for photos
- Best food and drink deals in Charlotte
- 50+ walks and hikes in and near Charlotte
- 5 cat cafes in Charlotte
- Resources for pet owners in Charlotte
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Charlotte art museums, galleries and events
- Charlotte on the Cheap events calendar
- Charlotte area farmers markets