Carolina Alpaca Celebration is the biggest alpaca event in the southeast and it is free to the public. It takes place at the Cabarrus Arena and Events Center, 4751 NC-49, Concord, on Saturday, February 11th, and Sunday, February 12th, 2023.
Saturday: 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Sunday: 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Parking is $7. Credit and debit cards only.
Scroll down for pictures from a previous year’s Alpaca Celebration, as well as some fun facts about alpacas.
There will be two alpaca shows with hundreds of alpacas competing.
In addition there will be:
- Vendors selling alpaca and fiber related items
- Educational classes
- A fiber arts display
- An alpaca costume contest on Saturday around noon. (alpacas will be in costumes; people will not be wearing alpaca costumes)
Alpaca (Vicugna pacos) is a species of South American camelid. It resembles a small llama.
Here are eight fun facts about alpacas:
- Alapacas and llamas can cross-breed. Their offspring are called huarizo.
- Their fleece is warmer than sheep’s fleece, not as itchy, and is hypoallergenic.
- They were domesticated by the Incas over 6,000 years ago.
- When they mate, the male emits a throaty vocalization called “orgling.” (I know you’re searching youtube now.)
- Their fleece comes in 22 colors.
- Their fleece is flame-resistant and water-resistant.
- They do spit when they’re annoyed, so don’t annoy them.
- They express their feelings toward each other by swishing their tails.
Double-Check Before You Head Out!
We make every effort to make sure that everything on Charlotte on the Cheap is 100% accurate.
However, sometimes things change without notice, and we are not always notified. It's also possible that we can make a mistake.
Please verify all deals and events with the venue or organizer before you go.
You might also be interested in:
- Subscribing to Charlotte on the Cheap's email list
- Best skyline views in Charlotte for photos
- Best food and drink deals in Charlotte
- 50+ walks and hikes in and near Charlotte
- 5 cat cafes in Charlotte
- Resources for pet owners in Charlotte
- Free and cheap things to do this week
- Charlotte art museums, galleries and events
- Charlotte on the Cheap events calendar
- Charlotte area farmers markets