It seems that we’re all rediscovering some low-key activities these days, and a visit to the CLT Airport Overlook fits right into that plan.
Charlotte Douglas International Airport is one of the few airports in the United State that maintains a public viewing area.
The CLT Airport Overlook is at 7300 Airport Overlook Drive, right off of Old Dowd Road. It offers a close-up, unobstructed look at planes as they take off, with the Charlotte skyline in the background.
During the warmer months of the year, food trucks and food carts are at the Overlook on the weekends. Most often, you can find Italian Ice, but sometimes more substantial fare. Check the schedule here.
Airport Overlook Food Truck Schedule
- July 8th, 12 to 3 p.m.: 87 LLC Jamaican Cuisine
- July 8th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Phresh Italian Ice
- July 9th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 10th, 12 to 3 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 15th, 12 to 3 p.m.: Riley’s Red Hot
- July 15th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Phresh Italian Ice
- July 16th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 17th, 12 to 3 p.m.: Taystee Ice
- July 17th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Frios of Rock Hill
- July 22nd, 6 to 9 p.m.: Frios of Rock Hill
- July 23rd, 12 to 3 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 23rd, 6 to 9 p.m.: 87 Six LLC Jamaican Cuisine
- July 24th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 29th, 6 to 9 p.m.: 87 Six LLC Jamaican Cuisine
- July 30th, 6 to 9 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
- July 31st, 6 to 9 p.m.: Jet’s Italian Ice
It’s free to visit, and it’s open every day from 8 a.m. to 10:30 p.m.
There are no restroom facilities.
There’s plenty of parking, and if you have a vehicle with a hatchback, or if you have a pick-up truck, you can back into the front row of parking spots and watch from the back of your car or truck.
Otherwise, you can bring your own chairs, or sit on one of the benches. You can also bring a blanket and enjoy a picnic.
There are also a couple of picnic tables.
This is an ideal place for aspiring artists or photographers to practice their craft. Of course, kids love it. And aviation enthusiasts can spend an afternoon identifying the different planes that take off or land.
Unfortunately, there’s an end in sight for this laidback, idyllic spot for Charlotteans. The airport is going to start construction on a fourth runway in 2024, and we will lose the CLT Airport Overlook at that time. Promises have been made for a new (even better) overlook. We hope so.