The U.S. Whitewater Center is holding free open water swim sessions on the Catawba River every Thursday in May through September from 6:30 p.m. to 8 p.m. The course is approximately 200 meters in length and is intended for people who know how to swim. There will be no lifeguard on duty, and participants must sign a waiver. Meet at the flatwater dock at 6:30 p.m.
- Open Water Swim is a lap-based swim and is intended for swimmers focused on training and conditioning in open water.
- This program is not intended for recreational swimming (ie: playing in the water).
- Swimmers should be confident in their own abilities in the water as this is a self-assisted activity (no water safety personnel on duty).
- In order to participate, swimmers are required to bring their own brightly colored swim cap.
- Open Water Swim takes place on Thursday evenings in May through September.
- All participants must sign the USNWC Waiver before participating
- Locker rooms and shower facilities are located at the main USNWC River Center
- All guests are required to pay a $5 parking fee at the USNWC unless guest has an annual parking pass. Annual parking passes are available through the USNWC for $40
Whitewater River Jam concert series takes place Thursday evenings too, so come and enjoy both. They’re both free. Parking is $5. Food and drink are sold on site. No outside food or drink are allowed. There’s also free Yoga and River Jam Run at 6:30 p.m. on Thursdays.